The SMSTS.log is the most commonly used log file for diagnosing task sequence issues. The locations are below (depending on progress):
- Before HDD is formatted: x:\windows\temp\smstslog\smsts.logAfter HDD is formatted: x:\smstslog\smsts.log
- SCCM agent not installed: c:\_SMSTaskSequence\Logs\Smstslog\smsts.log
- SCCM agent installed: c:\windows\system32\ccm\logs\Smstslog\smsts.log
- SCCM agent installed (x64): c:\windows\sysWOW64\ccm\logs\Smstslog\smsts.log
- Press F8 once in WinPE to open the command prompt.
- View the SMSTS.log file on the current system, or move it to another location for review. To view the log, type notepad x:\windows\temp\smstslog\smsts.log (reference the log locations above).
- VERY IMPORTANT - You must close the command prompt for the task sequence to reboot your system.
Written and composed by one of our Senior Microsoft System Center Architects, Jessica Ervin-Hang